Well the inagural Blood & Thunder Roller Derby World Cup has come and gone. Teams from all over the globe fought hard and made lasting international bonds with fellow competitors. There are so many lessons I personally took away from this experience, it could take me a month to write them all out. But there is one lesson over all the others, I really want you all to take from my experience.
Many people constantly ask me "How'd you become a manager for Team USA?"
| Bonnie D. and I represent! |
I have one answer.
Back in my good old community college days, I sold gym memberships for a living during the prime selling hours of 4AM - 9AM. Giant FML. At some point in my extensive sales training (believe me sales people are trained to psychologically mess your mind up so you say yes to anything they have), my boss told me a saying that went something along the lines of "You don't get 100% of what you don't ask for." When my boss relayed this information, he was trying to motivate me to ask everyone at the end of a workout/sales pitch to join the gym. I took the quote further though and incorporated it into my life's mantra.
This saying literally propelled me into every opportunity I have had since. When I wanted to be more involved in theatre I asked to be a board member - result - I've now served on the Stage III Board of Directors nearly two years now. When Team USA announced open recruitment I asked to be involved in any way possible - result - Buster appointed me Team Manager and I followed the girls to Toronto and eventually our World Cup win. Now I want to try my hand at dog sledding and writing for the college newspaper - result - I asked and the appropriate parties said absolutely.
Everytime I revieced a new position or someone took me onto their plate as a leap of faith, I worked my ass off. The fastest way to ruin your credibility and make people immediately turn to an "I don't think so" answer is to do a lackluster job. The last thing you want sticking to your shadow is a mundane reputation... unless of course deficiency is something you strive for.
![]() |
| Yep, I steal stock photos... |
So disclaimer aside, don't be afraid to ask for what you desire. Worse case scenario, the answer will be no. In that situation you haven't lost anything, except maybe a bit of ego (the sooner you learn to live without that the better). Best case scenario, the answer is yes and you gain your heart's desire.
So go forth and ask away!
![]() |
| ... and cartoons off the internet. |


Awesome katie :)
ReplyDelete